German shepherd are very active dogs, they love to adventure very much, one of the best ways to challenge your dog is to try swimming with him. swimming will help also exercise your German shepherd and burn fat. while out to swim, ensure your dog has worn a life jacket. This article has analyzed the top best rated German shepherd life jackets you should check out.
1. Outward Hound Granby Splash Dog Life Jacket
It has chest strap that ensure a perfect fit for your dog, the reflective material enhances safety of your pet as you cannot lose sight of your pet. The dual rescue handles are designed for easy grabbing and rescuing. The jacket has panels that ensure a secure neck float and the head is above water.
2. Viva-glory Rip stop Dog Life Jackets
The jacket has an extra padding to make sure the dogs movement is not restricted in water. It’s designed such that one can adjust fit around belly and neck to ensure the German shepherd safety when swimming. The life jacket comes with 10 different reflective colors to ensure easy visibility. Viva glory guarantees their customers a 90-day warranty.
3. RUFF-WEAR – Float Coat Dog Life Jacket
This is one of the best German shepherd life jackets, it has panels that enable the dog to swim naturally and support an upright position. The water webbing materials maintain stability in wet environments that’s the dog cannot over turn, it’s always in an upright position. The reflective trim enhances visibility even in low light.
4. Kurgo German shepherd Life Jacket
This product can be used to serve in two ways; the jacket can be used as a raincoat during the rainy season and can be used as swimming life jacket, its used as a raincoat by removing the floating layer. It has 2 control handles, they make it easy to extract a dog from water and control the direction when swimming. Kurgo life jacket has 2 metal D-rings to attach a leash. The Kurgo company offers a lifetime warranty of the product.
5. EzyDog Dog Life Vest
The life jacket has combined manufacturing techniques and high performance flotation material in the product. Its extensively tested to give your dog more ergonomic and comfortable fit possible. It has adjustable neoprene straps and a superior durable flotation material. The material is light to enhance easy movement in water.
6. Paws Aboard German shepherd Life Jacket Vest
Before purchasing, ensure you measure your dog’s body girth so as to choose the fitting life jacket. The vibrant colors and strips increases visibility to keep your mate safe all the time. The material is easy to dry, its breathable, light weight and flexible. The jacket is stylish and they keep updating with the latest fashion.
Dogs will require an evaluation to qualify for swimming. They must be in the control of their caregivers at all times to ensure everyone’s safety here. They must be leashed in all other areas of the park. Small dogs like Maltese are great swimmers, they might be frightened in water, this can raise the risk of drowning. German shepherds can swim a lot; they are very intelligent thus acquire skills very fast, one should first teach them how to swim and let them practice. Even after training, they need to be supervised for their safety. German shepherds swimming involves the four limps.
Tips to train your German shepherd how to swim and like water
- Take your German shepherd to a place with cool water as waves can scare your dog. Ensure you carry a leash with you.
- Observe your dog reaction at the water edges, treat him with patience. Get into the water and see if your German shepherd will follow.
- Take a step forward as you get in and as your German shepherds, congratulate and praise your dog each time it comes by your side. Be calm when in water so that the German shepherd can know there is no harm or hazard less.
- Once your dog is comfortable with water around his chest and belly, put life jacket on him and continue deeper into the water.
- Dogs should naturally paddle with their front legs. One can stand by his dog and hold him as he tries to swim.
Safety measures to observe when your dog is swimming
- Always ensure your German shepherd has put on a Life jacket or vest when there are strong waves. A floater device gives them courage and guarantees some safety.
- Do not allow your dog to swim in polluted water or unclear water that one cannot see through as it might contain hazardous plants or animals which can harm your dog, they can also cause infections and irritation.
- Do not let your dog drink the pool water as it might cause diseases and lead to vomiting. If the water is chlorate, your dog should not stay in water for long as the chemicals can lead to dry skin and irritation in various body parts.
The benefits of swimming on German shepherds
Dogs have excess energy which needs to be burnt, swimming is one of the best way to stretch muscles. To make swimming more entertaining to them, bring along a ball for your dog to swim and fetch in water.
Cools body down
Dogs can have a hard time to cool body as the have sweat pores only under their armpit. During warm days, they can easily cool their body by getting into the pool.
Dogs get bored and restless very fast, variety of activities help keep your dog alert. Swimming challenges the German shepherds mind which is a good exercise and help it think beyond the box.
How long should a German shepherd swim?
During the first time, a dog can swim between 5 to 10 minutes a day. It’s important to do swimming at intervals and let them rest and take a breath.
Always ensure the safety of your German shepherd by purchasing the recommended life jackets we have analyzed above for you.
Check out the following articles